Beginner Fly Fishing | July 25-27
Beginner Fly Fishing | July 25-27
Beginner Fly Fishing
For children entering 4th - 8th grades
Boys and girls are invited to join Stokes Nature Center and Cache Anglers for a three day workshop and introduction to the science and skills of fly fishing. We'll learn about the tools every fly fisher needs, how to identify the best "spots" based on stream geography, and where to look to "match the hatch" when selecting your flies. This popular camp combines classroom-style learning about stream ecology, as well as hands on practice casting and stream fishing. All fishing equipment and supplies are generously provided by Cache Anglers. Campers will be able take equipment home at end of camp and continue to use for year to come! *This camp is designed for kids with little or no experience with fly fishing, *ages 9 - 14.
Drop-off and Pick-up Information
- Wednesday through Friday 9 am – 3 pm. Drop-off time begins at 8:45 am. Pick-up time is from 3:00-3:15 pm. We will begin our camp program at 9:00 am.
Drop-off and Pick-up will be at Stokes Nature Center’s Nibley Outdoor Classroom: 50 West 2600 South, Nibley, UT. Look for the Stokes Nature Center sign on the chain link fence. Please drive vehicle through double gates onto property and follow signs for drop off procedure.
- Campers need to be signed in and signed out by an adult each day. If for any reason you plan to send your child home with someone other than the person who drops them off in the morning, you must let our staff members know at the time your child is dropped off. For their safety, your child will not be allowed to leave with an unauthorized person. Please review this information with your child, and plan accordingly.
- Weather conditions vary daily in the canyon and the valley, so make sure your child is prepared accordingly (rain gear, jacket, sweatshirt, hat, shoes, socks, etc).
- Please thoroughly coat your child with sunscreen each day prior to dropping them off for camp! We will apply sunscreen again mid-day as needed. Remember the activities may include water play and running/movement games so choose appropriate clothing.
- Electronic devices are not permitted and will be confiscated immediately by camp staff and returned to parents at the end of the camp day. SNC Staff members will have cell phones if parents need to contact them for emergency reasons.
- Sack lunch (Wednesday and Friday only)
- Clothing that can get wet and/or dirty
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (no flip-flops or other shoes that are not secure)
- Sun hat
- Warm clothing layer (jacket, sweatshirt, etc.)
- Change of Clothes
- Swimming Suit
- Rain Boots
DO NOT BRING:
- Food that requires refrigeration or heating
- ANY Electronic devices (cell phones, music players, video games, etc.)
Camp Activities Schedule
@Shenoah Picnic Area, Blacksmith Fork Canyon
- Stream Ecology
- Macro invertebrates
- Be prepared to get Wet!
@Willow Park West
- Fly tying
- Pond Fishing
- Papa Murphy's for Lunch!
@Mtn Valley Trout Farm, Smithfield
- Fishing Day!
In Case of Emergency
It is important to note that Logan Canyon does not provide cell phone reception, so unless camp is being held at SNC or at the Nibley property, your child will be unreachable during some parts of the day. SNC staff will have a schedule of where campers will be each day. In the case of an emergency where you need to reach your child, please call SNC during office hours at 435-755-3239. Registered Camp Parents will also be provided with the cell numbers of camp staff for after hours calls.