Wilderness Survival | June 25-29
Wilderness Survival | June 25-29
June 25th - 29th
For children entering 5th - 10th grades
Do you have what it takes to survive in the wild? Join SNC for a highly engaging hands-on experience that will leave you more confident about surviving in the great outdoors! Participants will learn to use a compass and read multiple types of maps in order to safely navigate in unknown terrain. We’ll try our hand at building shelters, learn how to safely cook over an open fire, identify edible plants, practice some wilderness first aid, and discover how common items can become important survival tools.
Drop-off and Pick-up Information
- Monday through Wednesday 9 am – 3 pm. Drop-off time begins at 8:45 am. Pick-up time is from 3:00-3:15 pm. We will begin our camp program at 9:00 am.
- Thursday 9 am – overnight camping. Drop-off time begins at 8:45 am. We will begin our camp program at 9:00 am.
- Friday 8:30 am. Pick-up time is from 8:30 - 8:45 am.
Drop-off and Pick-up will be at Stokes Nature Center’s Nibley Outdoor Classroom: 50 West 2600 South, Nibley, UT. Look for the Stokes Nature Center sign on the chain link fence. Please drive vehicle through double gates onto property and follow signs for drop off procedure.
- Campers need to be signed in and signed out by an adult each day. If for any reason you plan to send your child home with someone other than the person who drops them off in the morning, you must let our staff members know at the time your child is dropped off. For their safety, your child will not be allowed to leave with an unauthorized person. Please review this information with your child, and plan accordingly.
- Weather conditions vary daily in the canyon and the valley, so make sure your child is prepared accordingly (rain gear, jacket, sweatshirt, hat, shoes, socks, etc).
- Please thoroughly coat your child with sunscreen each day prior to dropping them off for camp! We will apply sunscreen again mid-day as needed. Remember the activities may include water play and running/movement games so choose appropriate clothing.
- Electronic devices are not permitted and will be confiscated immediately by camp staff and returned to parents at the end of the camp day. SNC Staff members will have cell phones if parents need to contact them for emergency reasons.
PACKING LIST (Monday-Thursday)
- Sack lunch
- Clothing that can get wet and/or dirty
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes (no flip-flops or other shoes that are not secure)
- Sun hat
- Warm clothing layer (jacket, sweatshirt, etc.)
- Change of Clothes
- Swimming Suit
- Rain Boots
DO NOT BRING:
- Food that requires refrigeration or heating
- ANY Electronic devices (cell phones, music players, video games, etc.)
OVER NIGHT PACKING LIST (Thursday-Friday)
We will provide tents for sleeping in, dinner and S'mores on Thursday night and breakfast on Friday morning, please tell us of any dietary restrictions in advance. Please bring all camp out supplies to the Thursday morning drop off.
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- Change of clothes
- Flashlight or headlamp
In Case of Emergency
It is important to note that Logan Canyon does not provide cell phone reception, so unless camp is being held at SNC or at the Nibley property, your child will be unreachable during some parts of the day. SNC staff will have a schedule of where campers will be each day. In the case of an emergency where you need to reach your child, please call SNC during office hours at 435-755-3239. Registered Camp Parents will also be provided with the cell numbers of camp staff for after hours calls.