Now Hiring Summer Camp Staff!
AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates with Public & School Partnership
Make a Difference in Cache Valley!
SNC offers week-long camps to youth 3-14 years throughout the summer, exploring a number of dynamic topics such as local wildlife, ecosystems, plants, water and wetlands. Two Summer Associates will be leading our Summer Camp Program this year at Stokes Nature Center, and they will play a crucial role in providing a fun, safe and supportive environment for our campers.
Summer Camp Staff will be working with the SNC Director of Education to finalize lesson plans and camper activities around the established camp themes for each week. We look for input from our interns on the topics, activities, and field trips that they feel comfortable presenting and excited to share.
Summer Camps run from June 6 – August 11. Most camps run 9 am to 4 pm Tuesday through Thursday, with an overnight camp out on Thursday nights. Friday mornings include a campfire breakfast and camper pick up by 10 am.
Summer Associates will take away hands-on professional experience in environmental education, as well as the opportunity to work with children of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- Commitment to a 10-week service term from May 30-August 7
- 40 hour work week, typically Monday through Friday (depending on site)
- United States citizen over 18 years old
- No personal days granted during 10- week service terms
- Participation in orientation training, one service project, and summer recognition event
- Living Stipend rate of $990/month
- End of Service Award: $1,230 Education Award or $250 cash stipend
- Paid holidays (July 4 and July 24)
- Paid training and professional development opportunities
- Service recognition certificate and picnic
- Hands-on experience working in local schools or non-profit organizations
Our challenge is to provide affordable and high quality summer programs to under-served populations. This year we are STOKED to have been selected as a host site for Summer Associates because this will enable us to provide camp scholarships, meals, gear, and extended day child care for up to 20 campers from 3 to 14 years old! Our education and nature based programs will help alleviate generational poverty in our area by offering high quality environmental education and outdoor experiences during the summer months, therefore reducing the effects of summer learning loss and increasing the developmental potential of participants.
Researchers have found that Nature Education and Outdoor Learning Experiences are vitally important for children. The positive effects of nature exposure include improved cognitive functioning (including increased concentration, greater attention capacities, and higher academic performance), better motor coordination, reduced stress levels, increased social interaction with adults and other children, and improved social skills. In addition, facilitating unstructured opportunities to play in nature is especially important for developing capacities for creativity, problem-solving, and intellectual development in children.
Experiences in Nature are especially important for low-income families. Several studies indicate that youth from low-income and minority families have relatively limited access to green and natural spaces. This lack of nature access means that low-income children are at a disadvantage and unlikely to benefit from the boost to intellectual, physical, and social development that nature education can provide. Our summer camp scholarships will be able provide productive and fun ways for low-income children to explore, learn, grow, and have positive experiences in nature throughout the summer.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (application deadline - MAY 3, 2017):
* USU Students and Alumni may apply via Career Aggie. Job ID 94415, title: Summer Positions - AmeriCorps VISTA
- Required documents (application will only be considered if packet is complete)
- Cover letter - Explain why you want to work with Stokes Nature Center this summer. Include reasons why you think you are a good fit for the Summer Associate program and any other relevant experience you would like us to know.
- Resume - Focused toward relevant experience (outdoor recreation, environmental science, summer camps, working with youth, working in school settings, working in non-profit organizations, volunteer experience, working in or alongside AmeriCorps programs, etc)
- Two references - Include the names and contact info of two professional references as well as the capacity in which you know each reference
- Email your completed application, with the subject "Summer Associate Application" to email@example.com