Nature Preschool Teaching Positions Available
2017 - 2018 School Year
Stokes Nature Center's Preschool Philosophy
Do you love sharing nature, art, music and movement with children?
Stokes Nature Preschool is a nature-based Montessori infused preschool program that enjoys a unique and vibrant natural setting, with access to a nearby river and nature trails.
Our teachers use emergent curriculum to stimulate children to think freely; develop independence and confidence; and respect themselves, others, and the environment. We encourage genuine nurturing, outdoor adventures, art exploration, and believe in respecting the unique individuality of every child.. Our teaching staff promote learning by:
The successful candidate will demonstrate an understanding of child development, best practices within a play based environment, creative problem solving, flexibility, and a love of children and nature.
Start date: August 28th
Preschool classes begin: Sept 5th
Preschool Teacher Description
Stokes Preschool Teacher works closely with the preschool staff, guiding the students in activities that promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being. We expect all preschool staff to uphold the philosophy of Nature Preschool as well as Montessori principles in a mostly outdoor setting.
- Collaboratively work with the Preschool staff to teach and develop curriculum and prepare the environment and materials.
- Maintain strong positive relationships with preschoolers and parents
- Maintain a safe and tidy preschool space, indoors and outdoors
- Attend preschool meetings and staff meetings and take initiative in seeking out professional development opportunities
- Participate in beginning school year prep, orientation, and end of school year clean up
- Assist with special events and fund raising efforts
- Prepare parent-provided snack and assist with clean-up.
- Assist in the Daily Sign-In & Out of students updating parents on daily activities when needed
- Help monitor the safety of students while walking up and down the trail keeping them encouraged and engaged.
- Model trail safety for parent chaperons.
- Share the responsibility for the safety and well-being of the children monitoring their whereabouts at all times
- Use positive guidance and redirection when necessary
- Model appropriate manners and behavior to help keep children calm, attentive, and safe.
- Assist with transition periods including washing of hands and putting on outdoor gear while encouraging responsibility and independence
- Report any incidents or concerns to Preschool Director, and parents when needed
- Help with the maintenance of classroom inventory and student records keeping things clean and orderly
- Guide and model proper stewardship for the outdoor space
- Encourage teamwork, sharing, and friendship while respecting student’s needs to work alone
- Model integrity, curiosity, responsibility, creativity, and respect for everyone as well as appreciation for diversity
- Must embrace the mission of Stokes Nature Center
- Must be comfortable remaining outdoors for extended periods of time, in all seasons
- Prior preschool/early childhood experience is required
- Current CPR, AED, and First Aid and Food Handlers certification is required or willingness to become certified within two weeks of employment.
- Background check required
- A degree in early childhood education is recommended, but not required
- Nature education and Montessori experience is preferred, but not required
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (i.e., gentle daily hikes with children, bending, kneeling, lift 50 pounds, teaching outdoors in all weather).
- Exhibit positive and professional communication with children, parents, and staff
- Maintain efficiency and orderliness in carrying out tasks
- Must possess the ability to guide the children in a calm, encouraging, and consistent manner
Please send a resume and cover letter with three references to our Nature Preschool Director: Sadie Enright: email@example.com
Questions? Call 435-755-5017