Nature Preschool Teaching Positions Available
2017 - 2018 School Year
Stokes Nature Center's Preschool Philosophy
At SNC's Nature Preschool we believe that children are intrinsically motivated to learn. Our teaching staff promote learning by:
- Providing an environment which encourages discovery, experimentation, and the opportunity to see the results of one’s actions.
- Developing activities that encourage growth based on each child's abilities and interests.
- Encouraging problem-solving and reflection by asking open-ended questions and providing information in response to each child's ideas, insights, and concerns.
- Assisting children in their interactions with each other and offering opportunities for cooperative learning.
- Appreciating the individuality of children and families and celebrating diversity.
Preschool Teacher Description:
The Preschool Teacher works closely with the preschool staff, guiding the students in activities that promote physical, mental, and emotional well-being. We expect all preschool staff to uphold the philosophy of Nature Preschool as well as Montessori principles in a mostly outdoor setting.
- Collaboratively work with the Preschool staff to teach and develop curriculum and prepare the environment and materials.
- Maintain strong positive relationships with preschoolers and parents
- Maintain a safe and tidy preschool space, indoors and outdoors
- Attend preschool meetings and staff meetings and take initiative in seeking out professional development opportunities
- Participate in beginning school year prep, orientation, and end of school year clean up
- Assist with special events and fund raising efforts
- Prepare parent-provided snack and assist with clean-up.
- Assist in the Daily Sign-In & Out of students updating parents on daily activities when needed
- Help monitor the safety of students while walking up and down the trail keeping them encouraged and engaged.
- Model trail safety for parent chaperons.
- Share the responsibility for the safety and well-being of the children monitoring their whereabouts at all times
- Use positive guidance and redirection when necessary
- Model appropriate manners and behavior to help keep children calm, attentive, and safe.
- Assist with transition periods including washing of hands and putting on outdoor gear while encouraging responsibility and independence
- Report any incidents or concerns to Preschool Director, and parents when needed
- Help with the maintenance of classroom inventory and student records keeping things clean and orderly
- Guide and model proper stewardship for the outdoor space
- Encourage teamwork, sharing, and friendship while respecting student’s needs to work alone
- Model integrity, curiosity, responsibility, creativity, and respect for everyone as well as appreciation for diversity
- Must embrace the mission of Stokes Nature Center
- Must be comfortable remaining outdoors for extended periods of time, in all seasons
- Prior preschool/early childhood experience is required
- Current CPR, AED, and First Aid and Food Handlers certification is required or willingness to become certified within two weeks of employment.
- Background check required
- A degree in early childhood education is recommended, but not required
- Nature education and Montessori experience is preferred, but not required
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position (i.e., gentle daily hikes with children, bending, kneeling, lift 50 pounds, teaching outdoors in all weather).
- Exhibit positive and professional communication with children, parents, and staff
- Maintain efficiency and orderliness in carrying out tasks
- Must possess the ability to guide the children in a calm, encouraging, and consistent manner
Hours and Compensation:
- Pay range: $7.50 to $10.50 per hour depending on experience
- Maximum of 16 - 18 hours per week
- 20% Off SNC merchandise and programs
Start Date: August 21st
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with three references to our Nature Preschool Director: Sadie Enright: firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries may also be emailed to Sadie.